Wednesday, July 18, 2012

THE ENCHANTED FOREST


The widespread branches above me stretched upwards, reaching for the sun, swaying this way and that, waving “Hello” down to me. The branches were uniformed in various hues of green, speckled with bits of yellow. Blue skies peeped curiously through the nets of leaves that seemed to hold hands. Unseen birds, like ghosts, sang to each other from their high green havens. The roar of a helicopter’s blades came to me as the rumblings of a dragon’s sleeping firey breath. Beneath me, the branches’ shadows merrily danced on the pebbles shining, smiling upturned faces. The pebbles laughed gratingly as the bottoms of my shoes tickled them. Bits of fluffy green patches protruded from the nest of shiny grey faces, searching for the sun, whose rays pranced upon leaves overhead. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see fairies flit out from behind a tree.
The late morning breezes brought with them the rich scent of moist, fertile, dark earth from the nearby field. The sweet aroma of nature invaded my nostrils. The coarse, cracked skin of the tree trunk next to me was the roadway for dozens of tiny, red, six-legged vehicles. Playfully, a young breeze teased my hair back, trying to take my shy skirt with it. Golden-brown leaves drifted slowly down from the green canopy. One sinking leaf brushed my leg, as if to share its joy at moving on to another stage in its life. Suddenly, the wail of an ambulance reminded me that I was not sent to live with three fairies in an enchanted wood until my sixteenth birthday. Breathing in the smell of calming greenery , I slipped lazily back out of reality , into my own little world of magic and fantasy.

No comments: