Friday, September 10, 2010

IN MEMORY OF STEVEN LEVITIN, WIZARD OF OZ COLLECTOR AND WONDERFUL FATHER











Steven Levitin, age 53 of Lakeview, Executive with Riverside Graphics; beloved husband and best friend for 25 years of Kathleen nee Hurley; loving father of Rachel and Hilary; devoted son of Edwin and Marilyn; cherished brother of Michael (Meredith Mendes); dear son-in-law of Irene Koenke; fond brother-in-law of the late Tim Hurley; treasured uncle of Hanna, Franny and Leah. Service Tuesday, 10 a.m. at Anshe Emet Synagogue 3751 N. Broadway, Chicago, IL 60613. Interment Rosehill Cemetery. Board member of TRIO (Transplant Recipient International Organization) 2100 M Street NW, Washington, DC 20037. In lieu of flowers, contributions to Anshe Emet Synagogue, Gift of Hope, 660 N. Industrial Dr., Elmhurst, IL 60126 or TRIO. Info The Goldman Funeral Group, Irwin Goldman Director 847-478-1600.


"Dad, People have stopped writing here. I miss you with all of my heart. There is a pain inside of me that just will not go away and I will miss you forever. I hope where ever you may be is a place where you no longer feel any pain. The only part..." Hilary Levitin (Chicago, IL) "I just found out about Steven's passing from Jane Albright. I met Steven in 2007 at the Winkie Convention in Pacific Grove, CA. We had the opportunity to converse subsequently at other Oz events, most recently at the Wonderful Weekend of Oz in..." Judy Bieber (Albuquerque, NM) "Dear Kathy, Rachel and Hilary, I'm so terribly sad to hear just now of Steve's passing. I was trying to locate you, and this came up. Even though it's been 20 some years, I will always remember the many kind things you and Steve did to help me..." kathy santucci guttosch (sunnyvale, CA) "I just found out about Steve's death. Although it's been many years since I saw him, I recall our many talks about having a family. We were both going through similar difficulties back in the 80's. He was a genuine person who I am glad to have..." Sandy Kofkin (Deerfield, IL) "Dear Kathy and the Levitin Family, Our heartfelt condolences to you in your loss of Steven. We fondly remember our times with you when we lived in Chicago when we socialized with you and our Cousin Jill White Dworski." Gary & Karen Kipnis (Tucson, AZ)

Steven Levitin
This Guest Book has been kept online anonymously

Index View Print Entries Most Recent to Oldest Entries Most Recent to Oldest Entries Oldest to Most Recent Entries February 05, 2009
Another member of the International Wizard of Oz Club sends her sympathy to the Levitin Family. Although I met Steve at only a few conventions, I was touched by the warmth of his heart and his enthusiasm for all things Oz. He will be missed.
~ Carrie Hedges, Chicago, Illinois January 29, 2009
Dearest Kathy, Rachel and Hilary,
We were very sad to hear about Steven. We remember him fondly from the wonderful times watching Rachel and Eleni play Softball and Basketball for Latin. He was always warm, engaging and supportive - just a real pleasure to be with! We wish you all the very best during this difficult time. All our love,
~ Ian, Eugenia and Eleni Miller, Chicago, Illinois |Contact Me January 28, 2009
To the Family of Steven Levitin:


Upon Hearing the sad news-
thoughts suddenly swirl
of Steven at Winkies and Fayetteville,
oh so many colorful visions...
it would take a Wizard to sort them all,
or better yet, understand why?

Long discussions on books...
a quiet breakfast between friends
visions of new finds
restoration of old ones
laughter and fun
sharing all that life and Oz have to offer.

My travels down the yellow brick road
made more meaningful with each step
surrounded by friends in common
sharing a great grandparent's vision
now sadly diminished with a passing,
Steven you will be truly missed.

We will all still travel the road,
saddened to be sure, but confident still
the laughter we now hear, so loud and clear
is that of Steven, exploring with Ozsome glee
all the treasures that abound
in that Marvelous City of Green!


Clare and I were just getting to know Steven. We looked forward to each meeting and sharing news about our families and recent events. We thank you for sharing Steven with us and send our deepest condolences for your loss.
~ Robert and Clare Baum, Woodland Hills, California January 28, 2009
Dear Kathy, Hilary, and Rachel,
I will miss Steve's smile and his sincerity. He was such a supportive parent through the years the girls were in school. It was a pleasure to know him.

Lynn Preis
~ Lynn Preis, Chicago, Illinois January 28, 2009
I'm so sorry to hear about Steven. I've worked with him over the past few years and his generosity, humor, and warmth are what I remember most. My prayers are with your family.
~ Daniel Gerdes Christy Webber Landscapes, Chicago, Illinois Send Sympathy Flowers

January 27, 2009
Steven generously shared his joyful passion for books and Oz with members of the Oz Club in recent years. This too-brief friendship was a pleasure and an honor, and he will be missed.
~ Scott Cummings, Gambier, Ohio January 26, 2009
I only met Steve once, but he left an indelible impression on me. I wish I had more of an opportunity to know him better. He truly was a man with a big heart.

"Now I know I have a heart, because it's breaking." - Jack Haley
~ Blair Frodelius, Syracuse, New York |Contact Me January 26, 2009
I had the honor of meeting Steven Levitin only once, in Fayetteville last fall, but I was immediately impressed with his generous personality. I'm sorry that we've lost him so soon, and am sure that he left his family and friends with happy memories to share.
~ J. L. Bell, Newton, Massachusetts January 26, 2009
I'll miss working with you Steven.

Marcus
~ Marcus Mebes, Shreveport, Louisiana January 26, 2009
Dear Kathy, Another Oz friend here wanting you to know your kind, generous husband was one of the best. I know you'll treasure the memories. Having just known him for two years, my memories are fewer but awfully fond:

We met comparing notes on our Oz treasures and were delighted to find we shared a few that are especially rare. I later wrote asking him to loan a piece of sheet music that I didn't have in my own collection for an exhibit, attaching a digital file of the event flier. He brushed aside the whole sheet music question until I'd first agree to let him personally fund the cost difference to print the flier in color instead of black-and-white.

And the music? He loaned it -- no surprise -- then told me when he handed it to me that he had two and would love to trade for one of my duplicates. I still think I got the better end of that deal.

But he also wrote about you and events he couldn't attend because your anniversary, or the High Holy Days, were more important. He lobbied for all friends Oz to vote for Rachel's song and made it clear to anyone within earshot that he was the luckiest man alive to have the three of you.

We exchanged notes recently when I got a calendar in the mail from Riverside. And last week I stumbled across a little bag of Tin Man charms and thought I should send them to Steven; I realized then that we hadn't spoken since he was hospitalized, but I know he liked to share his honorary Tin Man status with both candor and whimsy. No one around him failed to know how deeply he's appreciated the gift of these last few years.

Reading through these posts, I think we all responded to that humility. Perhaps the Wizard said it best when he told the Tin Man, "A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others."

My prayers are with you and your girls in this time of loss, Jane Albright
~ Jane Albright, Kansas City, Missouri

January 26, 2009
Dear Kathy,

Please know that I share keenly the loss of Steven. I first met him in 2007 when he telephoned to talk to me about the West Coast meeting of the International Wizard of Oz Club. He was extremely excited about joining us, sharing some of his book treasures (and they were truly amazing), and golfing at Pebble Beach.

I was in touch with him frequently in the following months, and had the privilege of getting together with him in Chicago in June of 2008, which is also when he invited me to meet some of his family. His delight in life even with its challenges was inspiring to everyone he encountered.

We were blessed to know him and are saddened that we cannot continue the conversations.

Peter
~ Peter Hanff, Berkeley, California |Contact Me January 24, 2009
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved Steven. May his memory be a blessing.
~ Susan Berkson, Minnetonka, Minnesota January 23, 2009
To the Levitin Family;
My heartfelt condolences on the loss of Steven. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this most difficult time.
~ Helene Siegel, Cleveland, Ohio January 22, 2009
Dearest Kathy,
I am deeply saddened to learn of Steve's passing. I will remember his warmth, great sense of humor and his appreciation for a second chance to spend more time with the family he cherished so much. May his memory be for a blessing.
Fondly,
Carole
~ Carole Klein-Alexander, Riverwoods, Illinois |Contact Me January 21, 2009
The Levitin Family,
Steve was a wonderful inspiration to all of us on Team Illinois. He will be greatly missed. I am sorry for your loss and I will pray for all of us.
~ Pat Weidner, Morris, Illinois Send Sympathy Flowers
January 20, 2009
Kathy,
my prayers are with you and your daughters. Steven was a wonderful person who I and many other transplants will miss.
~ Deborah Ross-Greene, Naperville, Illinois January 20, 2009
To the Levitin family,

I had the pleasure of meeting Steven a few times over the years at Rita and Morty's for the high holidays, and most recently at Jacob and Max's Bar Mitzvah..A very nice and courageous man with a lovely smile..May G-d comfort all of you and may Steven's memory be a blessing..
~ Patti Greenberg, Long Beach, New York January 20, 2009
Kathy, Rachel and Hilary,
We've shared a lot of good times with you and Steve. Never once did we ever hear Steve ask "why me"?
He was up and fun and had a great sense of humor and great courage. It has become a tradition for all of us to share holidays together. Sitting by the fire, laughing relaxing, that's what it's all about. We'll make sure that we keep an extra seat, and have an extra glass in memory of our dear friend. He'll be missed.
~ Russell, Vivian and Rachel Dash, Glencoe, Illinois January 20, 2009
Ed and Marilyn,
I am very sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you and your family.
Sincerely,
Bill Haber
~ Bill Haber, Highland Park, Illinois January 20, 2009
Kathy, Hilary and Rachel,
We are so sorry for your loss. Steven will be greatly missed. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Ben and Rhonda
~ Chicago, Illinois
January 20, 2009
To the Family of Steven Levitin,

Our deepest, heart-felt sympathies to all of you.

My name is Stuart Friedman and my connection to Steven was 39 years ago. He was the "water-front" director at OSRUI in Oconomowoc, WI, during my tenure as a camper. I re-connected with Steven about two years past via business. We bonded immediately. Upon hearing his journey, I asked him what was different for him today because of his health experience. His response was, "I don't sweat the small stuff any longer..." This succinct and poignant answer is Steven's legacy for my family and me. It had/does have a profound impact on my consciousness every day upon waking from slumber. Steven was and always will be a gift in our lives. His soul does live on...
~ Stuart Friedman, Chicago, Illinois |Contact Me January 20, 2009
To Steven's family,

I am deeply sorry to hear of Steven's passing. We were golf partners at the Louisville Transplant Games, and I last saw him in Pittsburgh. He had such a great smile and enthusiastic attitude, which I will always remember.
~ Carrie Conley, Lake of Egypt, Illinois January 20, 2009
Dear Kathy, Rachel and Hilary,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you today and in many days to come.

We love you. We loved and will miss Steve.

-Kelly (Hurley), Dennis, Luke and Sam Okland January 20, 2009
Steven will be missed by all he was a 100% quality guy and I'll remember him most by his big smile. I know his family was incredibly lucky to have such a great influence and he touched the lives of many people for the better.

My dearest respects to the family.
Robert Garson
Oceanside, New York
~ |Contact Me January 20, 2009
Kathleen, Rachel, Hillary -
All our love and sympathy is with you. Steven touched our lives and we will always cherish our memories of our times with him.
~ Nancy, Max, Jacob & Mitch Levitin, Great Neck, New York Send Sympathy Flowers
January 20, 2009
~ Nancy, Max, Jacob & Mitch Levitin, Great Neck, New York January 20, 2009
Kathleen, Rachel, Hilary, Ed and Marilyn -

Steven seized his gift of life and amazed us all with his humor, spirit, and determination. I will miss his calls, his visits, the reports of his golf games, the status of his Oz collection and business, his Transplant Games triumphs, and, of course, his updates regarding Rachel, Hilary, who clearly brought him tremendous joy. Steven and I spent a lot of time together over the years, as kids, as young men, and just recently again. I will cherish those memories forever.
My deepest sympathy is with you all.
Love -
Mitchell
~ Mitchell Levitin, Great Neck, New York January 19, 2009
Im gonna miss ya Steve.
Although I didn't see you in a loooong time we always had that bond.
Your fellow transplant buddy,
John Centanni
~ John Centanni, Schaumburg, Illinois January 19, 2009
Dear Kathleen, Rachel, Hilary,

You are in my thoughts and prayers every day. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy on the passing of Steven. You (Kathy) and Steven created a beautiful family. Working together with you all these years, I saw first hand that nothing was more important to you (Steven, Kathy) than Rachel and Hilary. Steven and I flew to Atlanta to call on a customer together. After the days work the customer made plans for us to golf the next day at some fancy private golf club. I knew Steven loved golf but he wanted more to get back home to you and said, “No thank you, maybe some other time. I will be flying home to Chicago tonight to play with my girls!” That was Steven Levitin to me.

Your friend,

Paul Dombrowski
~ Paul Dombrowski, Chicago, Illinois |Contact Me January 19, 2009
My deepest sympathy and prayers to your family during this difficult time.
~ Lori Wleklinski, Tinley Park, Illinois
January 19, 2009
Kathy, Girls:
I'm so sorry for your loss. Steve was a wonderful father & husband. Your old Racine neighbor.
~ Sam Wengroff, Wilmette, Illinois January 19, 2009
I am so sorry to hear about Steves passing He will be missed.
~ Jim McGowan, Naperville, Illinois January 19, 2009
Dearest Kathleen,
My heartfelt condolences on the passing of Steven. I spoke with Steven online several times, though first met him at the Opening Ceremonies of the 2008 U.S. Transplant Games in Pittsburgh, last July. He was a wonderful man, and a teammate who will be greatly missed. My prayers are with you, your family, and the Jenca's, for their precious gift of life.

Colette Jordan
grateful liver transplant recipient
Team Illinois member
~ Colette Jordan, Lisle, Illinois January 19, 2009
I knew Steve through a business networking group. He will be remembered for his positive attitude and friendliness. Always cheerful, Steve appreciated life and took nothing for granted. He will be missed.
~ Joe O'Malley, Wilmette, Illinois January 19, 2009
Although it has been quite a while since I last saw Steven; When I found out about his passing, I began to think about Steven as I knew him. As I remember, when
Steven worked for Bentley, Barnes and Lynn, all I remember was a warm, caring, affable, hardworking gentleman. I just wanted to take a moment to express my condolences to the Levitin family. May you find peace and comfort in the many warm memories you have of Steven.
~ Paul Oleff, Highland Park, Illinois

January 19, 2009
Dear Kathy, Rachel & Hilary:

We extend our heart felt deepest condolences and prayers for you and your family during this very sad time. As I write this, I reflect back and see Steven's smiling face in all the wonderful times we shared cheering our girls on in many occasions together during our wonderful years at Anshe Emet Day School. His will be missed by all who knew him.
~ Evelyn & David Kaiser & Family, Lincolnwood, Illinois January 19, 2009
A fond farewell, mixed with feelings of perplexity and sorrow at the too-early passing of Steven. A generous and inquisitive friend, he shared opinions, ideas, and everyday observations with enthusiasm and perception that belied his years. His was a life cut short but nevertheless blessed with the love and admiration of colleagues and family alike.
~ Richard Eastline, Chicago, Illinois January 19, 2009
Kathleen, please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this most difficult of times. Having lost my husband Amedeo on January 8th, 2009, I profoundly feel for your loss and extend my deepest and sincerest sympathy. May the memories you have of Steve bring you and your loved ones comfort, as he continues to live on in your hearts.

In Deepest Sympathy,
~ Joan Parente, Palos Hills, Illinois |Contact Me January 19, 2009
Kathy, Rachel and Hilary -
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. We love you!

Abby & Sandy Barin
Jess Horwitz
~ Abby Barin, Minneapolis, Minnesota Send Sympathy Flowers

Board of Directors Member: Steven Levitin
Chair: Nominating Committee

Steven Levitin is a heart transplant recipient, 12/31/99, Loyola University Medical Center. Following his transplant he immediately became involved with TRIO and has been a member-at-large and then a Board Member ever since. Steven has had the opportunity to meet his entire donor family and speaks regularly throughout the country with them in support of organ donation. For his involvement, the Secretary of State of Illinois provided him with an organ donor license plate that supports his cause...HEART. Where ever he goes people ask him questions about his plate.

Steven has also been involved with American Heart Association as a top fund raising volunteer and is involved with the National Kidney Foundation of Illinois and the regional OPO, The Gift of Hope as a volunteer speaker.

Steven currently spends his time as an antiquarian book collector, conservator and dealer specializing in first edition L. Frank Baum books and Oziana Ephemera. He speaks regularly about book collecting and is a long standing member of the International Wizard of Oz Club. His collection is well known amongst Oz Historians around the world.

Prior to his current career, Steven had a successful 30 year career in advertising, marketing, business development and technology. Working with major companies that included R.R. Donnelley, Open Text Corporation, McDonald's Corporation, General Mills, Hewlett Packard and many others.

Steven attended Indiana University in Bloomington, IN followed by Northwestern University in Chicago, IL. When asked, he speaks about organ donation to both schools and also teaches and substitute teaches on an as needed basis.

A lifelong golfer, Steven has been competing in the Transplant Games since 2002, medaling each year he has been involved. His donor family has been joining him and has provided much needed support out on the links.

Steven is married to Kathleen Hurley Levitin and they have two daughters currently attending college in Illinois and Washington D.C
The last is a post honoring Steven before his untimely passing.

STEVENS VIEW ON HIS PASSION OF COLLECTING WIZARD OF OZ BOOKS

Hello, My name is Steven Levitin. I sell, collect and acquire Oz and Oz related books, as well as very special children's literature for pure pleasure and appreciation. I have been doing this for almost 30 years now and have enjoyed the journey through the Land of Oz every step of the way. I find it thrilling to pass on wonderful books to the next generation of readers and collectors. It is very important to me that these books stay alive and in treasured condition for years to come. When a book is still around at 100 years, then it should be treasured, appreciated and cared for with the utmost respect. They should be treated as family. This is the type of home I hope my books go to.
We all have one on eBay. We all have a story about how our name came to be. Some are obvious, some are absurd, some are funny, some are cute and then there are some that are, well, truly meaningful. Mine is gr8hrts. Yes I am told that I have a heart of gold, a really great heart, but my story goes deeper. You see, On New Years Eve 12/31/99, I was the lucky recipient of a new heart. Yes, I was gravely ill and wasn't expected to make it another 2-4 weeks without a donor heart. Fortunately for me, my wife, my daughters, my dogs, my fish and of course my Oziana Artifacts, I was blessed with the fortune of life once again. I have met my donor family and their friends, spoke at my donor's high school graduation and even accepted his diploma post humulously. An honor and privilege. I live each day to the fullest. I compete in the Transplant Olympic Games and have even won medals. Most recently for Golf, I have been playing since I was 4 years old. I love the game. I hope that you enjoyed learning a bit more about me and that you visit my auctions frequently

4 comments:

mark shapiro said...

I cried posting this and though I used to talk to him on the phone about oz items, I felt his soul and spirit doing this and I have to think he hasnt left us but what he did leave is his character, soul and spirit of which we all can learn from.

Rachel Levitin said...

I just found this after Googling dad's name. Thank you so much for this. Really, thank you.

mark shapiro said...

Rachel..being of the same clan (my last name is Shapiro), I felt his soul then and now and what I do in my life is for my mom and for future generations and I was waiting for you to find this and thank the heavens you did and I am so glad you approve and it is always a work in progress and I hope you send me more and more on his Stevens life for his memory will forver be etched in peoples minds through this blog and also through you and your family..contact me at wizofbeach@yahoo and I would sincerely love to keep building up this memorial to Steven and his offspring as high as the tallest mountains for Steven never left for you are his creation...

Mark Shapiro said...

Rachel..please pass this entry on my blog to all those you wish of course and again, they also can add items on this and hopefully, it will be a thousand pages long and longer through time...