Wednesday, September 22, 2010

LARRY SHAPIRO "THE JET", ROSEMEAD HIGH SCHOOL TRACK STAR..1958, FAILS TO BREAK 100 METER DASH RECORD FOR 70 YEAR OLDS



Larry "THE JET" Shapiro,,number 459  to the right, wearing two knee bandages  finished third but still shows his form he had at age seventeen, 53 years ago, in 1958..

CLICK ON PICTURE ABOVE FOR BEST EFFECT..LARRY SHAPIRO "THE JET" SHAPIRO on far right


Shapiro at 70 was attempting to break his age group 100 meter dash record (M 70 12.77 Bobby Whilden USA 70 ) and had the lead for thirty yards when his knees buckled and he staggered in 20.2.

Despite training for eight months on beer, vokda, rum and pizza, potato chips, and burritos, Shapiro felt he had enough carbs to achieve his goal.

Shapiro did romp in his comeback race defeating three men his age from the Encino Rest Home and was confident he would break the world record.

"I thought I had it won at about twenty yards", said shapiro, "but I began to feel my knees buckling and I couldnt move my arms because my dentures were slipping and I was afraid they would fall to the ground, so I needed my arms to catch my teeth."

Not one to quit, Shapiro said he will get his confidence back racing men in their nineties if he can find one.

He said he heard of one locally but that person is in a iron lung and may not be able to prepare for the race against Shapiro.

"I have been known for the jet my entire life and I still feel i have alot more heat in me.", stated Shapiro.

Runners seventy and up are asked to contact Larry at his email address; lrrysha2000@aol.com. Oxygen tank and ambulance will be available for a race.

8 comments:

Willie Makit said...

I challenge him to a race anytime anywhere. I am 88 years old and recently ran a 100 yards in 20.1

Rodger Freeman said...

I remember Larry Shapiro the Jet and he was known throughout the area as that and I know of stories about the Jet that are legendary, especially with making homemade beer for training and chasing girls.

Albert Krotchek said...

Larry the Jet pants me in his family drive way spread eagle and I was wearing noting but boxers and he and his friend tied up to the gate entry to the driveway.

Anonymous said...

The Jet owes me 52 years back child support,,I went to the prom with him

Unknown said...

"Shapiro the Jet" ??? The only thing left of the "Jet" is his hair....
Dyed "Jet Black"

Unknown said...

Shapiro the Jet???? The only thing left of the "Jet" is his hair!
Dyed "Jet Black"

Mel Golditch said...

At least "the Jet" still has hair..do you?

JFletcher said...

I remember Larry, don't remember him as a runner though