Autopsy finds winner of roach-eating contest in Florida choked to death
Nov 26 (Reuters) - A Florida man choked to death after
eating dozens of roaches and worms last month to win a contest
results released on Monday.
The Broward County Medical Examiner's Office ruled that
32-year-old Edward Archbold's Oct. 6 death to be accidental and
said he died after being deprived of oxygen "due to choking and
aspiration of gastric contents."
Lab tests were negative for lethal intoxicating substances
and a severe allergic reaction, the medical examiner said.
Archbold collapsed soon after beating out several other
contestants who competed for a python in a roach-eating contest
at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Florida.
No other contestants experienced medical problems following
the event, police said.